This qualification reflects the role of a security officer, responsible for maintaining safety and security by patrolling, protecting or guarding property while unarmed, and screening entry, monitoring behaviour and removing persons from premises.
This qualification is intended to align with the occupational licencing outcomes of an unarmed guard security officer.
If you’re searching for a change in career path, a second job, or maybe some part time work that fits in around your university schedule – security could be the perfect job for you!
On successful completion of the course, providing you are aged 18 years or older at the time of applying, you are eligible to apply for your Qld Security Officer (unarmed) Licence for general security work.
- Airport security officer / screener
- Shopping Centre guard
- Mobile patrol officer
- Static/roving guard
- Maritime security
- Mine site guard
- Mine site camp guard
- Explosive plant guard
- Gas plant guard
- Power station guard
Please note, to be eligible to enrol in the Certificate II Security Operations course, it is recommended that you:
- Be aged 18 (turning 18 within next 30 days) or above
- Have successfully completed year 10 or equivalent level of study
- Successful completion of In 4 Training Language Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) Indicator
- Have a good level of English reading and writing skills (year 10 level)
These criteria are offered as a guideline for candidates to participate in the security operations course. The final responsibility regarding the ability to participate in course rests with the candidate.
- Average fitness level and can stand for extended periods. (more than 40 minutes)
- Adopt various positions safely and be able to rise unassisted. kneel on both or either knee and be able to raise unassisted.
- Adopt a sitting position and able to raise unassisted.
- Lie in a prone position and rise unassisted.
- Maintain adequate balance during dynamic engagements.
- Have adequate grip and strength in both hands to control persons using compliance holds.
- Have sufficient eyesight to read normal text in workbooks, mobile phone, electronic tablet and visually discriminate between friend/foe within 3m (corrective lenses permitted).
- Ability to hear and follow commands (hearing aids permitted).
- Ability to give strong verbal commands clearly.
- Participate safely and responsibly in drills and scenarios.
LLN assessment needs to be submitted no later than seven (7) days prior to the course starting.
Up to 10 x 10 hr days blended learning. This course is competency-based, so mere attendance is no guarantee of certification. The course is delivered is face to face and is supported with self paced assessment work book.
This course has a combination of theory and practicals
- Mackay – (Minimum of 3 people required)
- Emerald – (Minimum of 3 people required)
- Rockhampton – (Minimum of 3 people required)
Breakdown of core and elective units for Certificate II in Security operations CPP20218 to meet Office of Fair trading licencing requirements.
Core units for CPP20218:
- CPPSEC2101 Apply effective communication skills to maintain security
- CPPSEC2102 Apply legal and procedural requirements to work effectively within a security team
- CPPSEC2103 Apply WHS, emergency response and evacuation procedures to maintain security
- CPPSEC2104 Apply risk assessment to select and carry out response to security risk situations
- CPPSEC2105 Provide quality services to a range of security clients
- CPPSEC2106 Protect self and others using basic defensive techniques
- CPPSEC2107 Patrol premises to monitor property and maintain security
- CPPSEC2108 Screen people, personal effects and items to maintain security
- CPPSEC2109 Monitor and control access and exit of persons and vehicles from premises
- CPPSEC2010 Monitor and control individual and crowd behaviour to maintain security
- CPPSEC2111 Apply security procedures to manage intoxicated persons
- CPPSEC2112 Apply security procedures to remove persons from premises
- CPPSEC2113 Escort and protect persons and valuables
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
It is recommended that the candidate have their First Aid Course HLTAID003 completed prior to attending, as it is also a requirement for your security licence application.
Information on the currency of this training product can be located at https://training.gov.au/Training/Details/CPP20218
Security Providers licence applications are administered by the Queensland Government Office of Fair Trading. The process for preparing and submitting the licence application will be covered on the course. Refer to the Office of Fair Trading website for further information and current licence application fees. This course meets the training requirements for a Class 1 Security Providers Licence (multiple functions) including:
- Security Officer (Unarmed)
- Crowd Control
Eligibility: To be eligible for a licence, you must:
- be 18 years or older
- not pose a risk to public safety
- pass the required training course.
You are not eligible for a licence if you have been convicted of a disqualifying offence ( https://www.qld.gov.au ) in the past 10 years, where a conviction was recorded.
You must also tell OFT if you have been found guilty of a disqualifying offence ( https://www.qld.gov.au ) in the past 5 years, where a conviction was not recorded (this is known as an ‘unrecorded finding of guilt’). We may ask you for further information so we can assess if you are a suitable person to hold a licence.
Some suggested pathways to further your career in the security industry.
- Crowd Control skill set
- Responsible service of alcohol
- Batons and Handcuffs
- Cash in transit
- Security screening
- Drug and alcohol testing
Officers who only hold the “Unarmed function” on their licence are not required to under go refresher training from the industry regulator Office of fair trade. However all licensed security providers are required to maintain a current First Aid certificate.
- Check the course dates on the In 4 Training calendar (Note full weekend courses attract a 30% surcharge)
- Ensure you have your USI handy. If you don’t know what is a USI watch this video
- If you need a USI or you have forgotten your USI click on the link
- If you have any questions or something is not working please contact us on 0749877188 or send us message.